Friday, December 19, 2014

Seoul part 1: I miss KTown, so I went to KLand

Before I left LA, I would get asked "why are you going to Taiwan?" Here, people ask "why did you come?" I always tell them I wanted to switch it up, change the scenery, experience a different culture, see how other people live. These factors, I am convinced, can help me grow, appreciate, be more in tune with the human condition, and become a better person in the long run.

On top of that, I wanted to travel to other, various proximal Asian countries. And on top of that list was Korea. Incidentally, to our advantage, Daniel and Grace were already planning on going to celebrate his birthday there! I heart Korean food and there was a resurgence of KPop in my life; it had been awhile since the days of S.E.S., 1TYM, Finkl, H.O.T. My reconciliation with KPop can be attributed to the Wonder Girls, 2NE1, Taeyang, Kara, 4Minute, Sistar, Hyuna, etc. With the combo of food, Kpop, Kdramas, and my own physical features that make me appear Korean, grew in me a desire to travel there. Bless you, D&G, for the invite because you allowed me to scratch this one off the list right off the bat. We saw our chance to visit Korea with Koreans. So we did.

Lezzgo!!!

Shoutout to the Skyscanner app, which really helps in finding the cheapest flights. This flight was quite economical; so cheap that Jeff and I thought it wasn't a real plane. 'Cause for serious, what airline has a 'postrophe in it?! 

t'way is the only way
But it's all good, we made it!

Thank you :)
                                       
With a D&G suggestion, we AirBnB'd the same building they were staying at! It was even cooler because we were next door neighbors!! It felt soothing to hear Daniel knock on the wall every so often, putting my heart at ease. Everyday we were welcomed into Gangnam Wonderland with wall art. 


After a couple days, the Yamasakis joined us, forming TEAM OHBOYKOREAISGOINGTOBEFUN!
Top: sign at the Metro station; Bottom: area around the corner from where we stayed; tons of food!
Oppa Gangnam style! 10Q so much Grace and Daniel for showing us around, cahmsamnida! We didn't need to worry about spots to go to or the language barrier! Such a better and more time-efficient experience than what it would've been without y'all (which we did have a day and a half of - post to follow). Anyway, we get in the first day, and this happened.



I gotsta get my squid fix, so I started off strong, getting it street food style with Korean marinade, which I assumed was some kind of gochujang base. D&G then took us to a pork belly joint that reminded us of Palsaik/Eight back in LA. Well, of course, that's not enough so we marched on. The next stop was really cool - people writing on notes leaving their marks, taking off shoes, homey indoor decor, reminiscent of Nodaji in Rowland Heights! I'm usually not a fan of makgeolli, but it tastes differently in Korea, I actually didn't think it tasted like feet! Pair that with some seafood pajeon, a Korean-style pancake, and it's bound to be a satisfying meal slash after dinner snack. Even moreso because of the company you're with! LA --> Korea. I may have started to tap out early, whoops. Oh well, we haven't even started to scratch the surface yet.






No comments:

Post a Comment