Friday, November 21, 2014

China part 1: Beijing

A week after I made my arrival, I said "BRB Taiwan." I gotsta do somethin' right quick. Thanks to my cousin and the fam, I had the opportunity to travel to China so I said "hell, motherfather, yes."

I can't thank them enough for these golden opportunities most people don't get to have. Seeing new places, staying in nice hotels like the Shangri-La with a sweet suite to myself.

Good morning, Beijing.

Totes forgot that in China I wouldn't be able to use Facebook. And Instagram. And kinda Line. And kinda Gmail. Appreciate those freedoms that we have elsewhere! Getting online, checking my frequented sites was a doozy! Gotta use other "methods" and it's still spotty. And when I do get to use it, I feel like 大哥 (big brother) is always watching. I try and be distracting by perusing the internet in the nude. I'm sure it helps. Anyway, aside from that, I remember when I came here on a tour during high school, China can be a neat place to check out. So much historical sites to see, foods to try (as long as it's not TRASH WRAPPED AS MEAT INSIDE A BUN <~ yes, that was real news), places to explore; it's just a vast ass piece of land. 

This trip was quite different since I'm not being a tourist, though I do get to see how film sets work in China. Being on set at home can already hit low and slow moments of waiting around, but it's even moreso for me here. I don't even have scenes to wait for to shoot so I'm really there to not do anything haha. No trailer for me to do some exercising or reading, and THERE WAS NO KRAFT SERVICES (thats probably a good thing); however, it was substituted with an ass ton of smoking. One of the nights of the shoot we checked out a pretty nice restaurant in Beijing, no idea what it was called. It was ginormous and we got some rather delectable dishes. 

---left to right, top to bottom: 1) African leaf salad with radish. I've never had this vegetable and I'm all about them greens so this tickled my fancy. Crunchy, tasty, and African. Trifecta. 2) Pig hands 3) Cabbage and tofu. Yummm. 4) I think 豆苗菜; pea shoots? 5) Chinese writing 6) green beans 7) Beijing meat pie 8) a sort of Kung Pao chicken 9) some delicious pear drink I will probably never get to have again :(



The meal also including Peking duck in Beijing, where a chef butchered up the duck nicely, tableside. Like how at El Torito they have a server butcher up an avocado and make tableside guacamole. Same thing. The duck ninja sliced it so it would be layered with meat on bottom and crispy skin resting atop. Every individual had their own ceramic duck compartmentalized into celery, onion, cantaloupe (I think?!) two sauces, and some crispies.



One of the sets we were on was a Western-themed resort in the countryside that was reminiscent of cabin trips to Mammoth, Tahoe, Big bear.



The buffet meal that was served everyday looked better than it tasted. Sashimi was served frozen, there were flies landing on the food, but you know what. China. It was still an okey dokes meal no doubt.






Not only that, but they were encouraging. 











So that was essentially my Beijing trip! China part 1. Overall I have been gifting my taste buds and letting my fitness fall to the "waist"-side. Womp wompppp

See you in Shanghai!


No comments:

Post a Comment